Here I am going to share with you the best things to do in Bali.
Bali is considered to be one of the most beautiful and romantic places in the world. Its sun-kissed pristine beaches and lush green hills, offers the best of both the worlds. This gorgeous Island is dotted with temples, palaces and mansions constructed the most aesthetic way following Balinese Hinduism architecture. Bollywood and Bali have a strong bond. The locals are fascinated with Indian cinema, Hindi daily soaps and are crazy about Indian movie stars.
Century-old temples like Tanah Lot, natural caves, rice terrace, exotic seafood, water sports at Nusa Dua, climbing Mount Batur, sipping on exotic coffee and walking along Kuta for a hurried last minute shopping. There is so much to explore in Bali for creating a bag full of unforgettable moments.
Here is a list of the best things to do in Bali:
- Culture vulture– Bali is known for its dance, drama and sculpture as it has a rich cultural heritage dating back to the 8th century with a major influence of Hindu mythology. Out of the various Balinese dance forms, the Kecak dance performed by a band of men folk using the word,” Kecak” non-stop is a jaw-dropping experience. The Balih Balihan dance form can be witnessed in the numerous cultural shows along with Barong and Legong dances. Interior designers from all over the globe throng to certain areas of Bali for their intricate creativity on different mediums. Local Balinese artisans carve sculptures out of wood and stone giving them a realistic look with thorough detailing.
- Temple run – Visit a temple to claim your blessings.
Bali is embellished with temples and religious places where Hindu deities like Lord Ganesha, Lord Rama and goddess Sita are worshipped with much fervour. Temples like Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, Ulun Darun Beratan, Pura Kehen and Pura Tirtha Empul receive numerous visitors daily to offer prayers. The temples are set amidst mindboggling landscape like the Tanah Lot is on the shore of the ocean where visitors stay back to experience the majestic sun setting at the backdrop enveloping the universe in a warm orange hue. While the other temples have looming gateways leading on to lavish courtyards with magnificent gardens and lotus ponds. Remember to wear a sarong before entering a temple.
- Life on a beach – A call to all the beach bums and water sports lovers.
The island of Bali lying between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean is enveloped by magnificent beaches and breathtaking Seascapes. Beach bums enjoy the best of the scenic beauty of Kuta beach, relish a candlelit dinner savouring exotic seafood on Jimbaran beach and enjoy the play of sun and shade lashing against the shores of Canggu and Legian beach. Best things to do in Bali beaches is to indulge in adrenaline gushing moments doing Jet ski, banana boat, Jet pack and snorkelling at Nusa Dua, Tanjung Benoa, Sanur or Ayung river Ubud.
- Rice terrace – Cascading rice fields along the hillocks of Bali have featured in the list of UNESCO world heritage sites due to its traditional way of agriculture in the most picturesque setting. One of the best things to do in Bali is to relish a local meal sitting amidst the lush green rice terraces in a Balinese villa and cherish the bounty of nature amidst the rolling mountains. There is a certain sense of mystic tranquillity about these rice terraces which attract nature lovers and spiritual seekers on equal footing. The rice terraces of Jatiluwih, Tagallalang, Munduk and Soka fields offer the most strikingly beautiful picture postcard moments.
- Local food – A taste of the food life
Bali spells of exotic food dished out to different cuisines. One of the best things to do in Bali is to sample the local dishes like Nasi Goreng, Nasi Campur, Bebek and Ayam Betutu, Satay, Jimbaran seafood and local desserts like Klepon and Bubur sumsum all washed down by litres of Bintang limon beer. The Beer in BALI is to kill for don’t forget to have as much as you can (BINTANG LIMON TO BE PRECISE).Vegetarians don’t lose your heart, Bali offers an array of local food for the plant eaters too. Try your spoon and fork on Nasi Padang, Gado-Gado or Tempe Goreng. Mega green coconut water is sold on the beaches to quench the midday thirst and the tasty coconut meat is served as an exotic dessert in many restaurants. Sample a dinner on the beach with live barbecue counters and grills with traditional culture shows in the backdrop. The costliest coffee in the world, Luwak coffee is cultivated with pride in this part of the world visit a coffee plantation to witness the process of cocoa and coffee making.(To know more read my article on Luwak coffee- costliest coffee in the world)
- Nightlife – A little party never killed anybody
A country with strong spiritual inclination also offers myriad nightlife to the guests gallivanting their land. Bali is high on clubbing and party where places like Kuta, Seminyak and Legian go wild after its dark. The place transforms into a lively and happening place with DJs churning out chartbusters and gigs by bands performing the hits of the ’60s to ’90s through hi-tech music systems. The best thing to do in Bali to wrap a night is to sip on local beer which is smartly priced along with some exotic seafood humming Elvis Presley.
- Shopping – Buy it in Bali or cry later
Travel bugs shopping for souvenirs or shopaholics looking for the best bargain, it is all there in Bali to suit your pocket. Fill your suitcase with Organic herbs, high-quality tea, cold pressed aroma oil, wooden knick-knacks, masks and Buddhas. Kuta has lanes and bylanes of shops selling dream catchers of every hue, garments and mementos for that friend awaiting your arrival.
If you have already been to Bali, let me know about the best things that you did.
Remember to post your comments, I’ll be waiting for your valuable inputs.